Statements of Belief
Statements for PowerPoint slides
A few comments from the Sept Jane Cody Club meeting
- Americans overseas in a combat situation should be members
of the military and must obey military law.
- Except for the Cabinet, high ranking officers in Executive
Departments work for the American people under the jurisdiction of the
- Abortion should be safe, legal, and rare.
- A college or technical education should be available for
all who desire it, have the aptitude, and are willing to work for it.
- Military personnel and their dependents should receive
guarantees of medical treatment as soon as they finish basic training.
- The tax code needs to be simplified and changed so that it
rewards work and not wealth.
- The President, the Congress, and the Courts are equal
members in the governing of the nation and all are accountable to each
other and to the American people.
- The War on Terror is a war based in ideology, not
territory. It needs to be fought by military, police,
political, economic, and diplomatic efforts.
- All children should be guaranteed health care.
- We all need to act as "Good Stewards" of the
earth. We must leave this earth in better shape and healthier
than when we arrived.
- America has always led the way into the future.
We need to invest more in energy research, high speed internet and high
speed trains, science and technology, and knowledge-based jobs.
- We need to reform lobbying and campaign
financing, allow no gifts or "freebies" to legislators,
require reporting of all contacts with lobbyists, and explicitly
labeling all "special" bill provisions.
- Progressive government has two aspects, protection and
- Protection: military, police, fire, social security,
environmental, consumer, public health, balance of powers, governmental
openness, explicit rights.
- Empowerment: roads and bridges, education, banking, courts,
foreign policy, SEC: stock markets, FCC: communication regulation.
- Medicare and Medicaid need to be continued, improved, and
put on a sound financial basis.
- Social Security needs to be continued, improved, put on a
sound financial basis and not privatized.
- Affordable health care needs to be available to all
- We need to expand economic opportunities in Rural
- NAFTA, CAFTA: Trade is good, exporting jobs to
slave wage factories is not.
- IRAQ: We won the War in three weeks.
When are we going to end the occupation?
Americans are angry with their government because of:
Spying on Citizens
Using the army to get oil
The image, both in the US and abroad, that the US is a bully
Our use of mercenaries
The lack of concern by the Federal government for the needs of the citizens.