RESOLUTION OF THE FERRY COUNTY DEMOCRATS ON
TRIBAL SOVEREIGNTY AND TREATY RIGHTS
The mission of the Ferry County Democrat's is called to reaffirm its
commitment to the elimination of attacks against tribal sovereignty and
treaty rights. This resolution is the answer to this call.
We affirm unequivocally the Ferry County Democrat's responsibility to
support and recognize the sovereign status of Indian Nations in the
United States and to advocate and endorse the fulfillment of Indian
tribal treaty obligations and the trust responsibilities of the federal
government. The Ferry County Democrat's support tribal government
responsibilities to preserve human rights and protect tribal
territories as the tribe sees fit.
The Ferry County Democrat's takes this opportunity to express its
opposition to all forms of attack on tribal sovereignty. Such attacks
still exist in the United States, crystallized within a mainstream
configuration of organized bigotry. The present day attacks on tribal
sovereignty, as in the past, are rooted within the philosophy of white
supremacy and manifest destiny. These philosophies must be opposed.
Therefore, be it resolved, that the Ferry County Democrat's, in solidarity with domestic sovereign nations:
A. Calls upon organizations, associate members, and supporters of the Ferry County Democrats to:
B. Calls upon federal, state and local governmental agencies to:
- Support and participate to their abilities in efforts to educate
communities to the insidious nature of present day attacks on tribal
- Support and assist where possible in the development of programs
that support tribal governments, particularly in rural areas where
conflict resolution is weak and anti~Indian activity is high.
- Support coalitions, individuals and organizations that oppose attacks on tribal authority, treaties and agreements.
- Oppose the involvement of elected and appointed public officials in attacks on tribal authority, treaties and agreements.
- Develop relationships with tribal governments
The Ferry County Democrat's call upon all of its members and supporters
to engage in actions of peace and justice that will help bring these
aims into full reality.
- Advocate and implement the full meaning of the principle of
self-determination in its social as well as economic and political
dimensions (consistent with US commitments under the Covenant on Civil
and Political Rights and the Helsinki Final Act) for Indian Nations and
increased federal, state and local government respect for tribal
- Collaborate with tribal governments in resolving intergovernmental disputes.